Sunday, November 9, 2014

7th Graders and 8th Graders: Finding a Rate or Rate of Change Part 1

In 7th grade, we have been talking about different types of rates. We have discussed the meaning of unit rate and rate of change. 

Unit Rate: When rates are expressed as a quantity of 1, such as 2 feet per second or 5 miles per hour, they are called unit rates.

Rate of Change: A ratio between a change in one variable relative to a corresponding change in another. Most often discussed with time and speed.

The reason I said both 7th and 8th graders for this post is because 8th graders will need to remember this idea for the upcoming unit. (You are not allowed to forget what you learned in 7th grade! It is a building block each year!)

We can find rate of change and unit rate in various ways. We can see it in a story, graph, table, pattern, or an equation. 


Above is a table showing temperature rising. Students may be asked the question what is the rate of change in this table and what does it mean.

First, I would start by defining the independent and dependent variables. 

Time = Independent = X 

Temperature = Dependent = Y

Next, I would look how is the table changing.... I have scratched out what I would with this problem below.


I could next say, I have a rate of change of 9 degrees every 3 hours. Some students may want to change this rate into a unit rate by saying the temperature increases 3 degrees every hour.

What are some other rates that are equivalent to the 9 degrees every 3 hours? (Classdojo point)

Next post will be finding it from a pattern, equation, and graph. 

Have a Great Sunday!
Mrs. Gilliam



2 comments:

  1. So then how would you put it into an equation? I have a test but this was somewhat like one of the questions and it confused me. 9 divided by 3? I understood the pattern and all, the only thing was how to put it into an equation if you could I'd be grateful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another thing, the patterns weren't equal in my problem. It was like +6, then +8, +8, +6.

      Delete